Friday, March 30, 2012

One of those Days...

Being an adoptive parent is fun, amazing, and awesome, but it has it's moments when you wonder if you are doing everything you can to be a great parent. And when you have a play date with thee amazing Birth Mom (Mommy Chanel) you want everything to go perfect or in reality ok. Well this day topped the charts. So here is the story. A week ago I planned to meet Mommy Chanel at Gardner Village for some lunch and to feed the ducks. Lunch was going good until Brody through the biggest fit in his 15 months being alive. I could not settle him. He was loud, everyone in the restaurant was starring. I took him outside to walk around, still crying...SCREAMING LOUD. I came back to the table and Chanel had finished eating so she offered to take him outside. I was grateful. Sometimes I think kids do better away from the parents. Of course thoughts cross my mind with what Chanel was thinking of me trying to calm him. And I just have to reassure or remind myself that I did all I could. Five or ten minutes pass and Chanel comes back with Brody as happy as he could be. She must have said a little something to him. Thank you Chanel!. After we ate we headed outside to find the ducks...

There weren't very many, in fact there where only 2 swan. So they ate like champs that day. Those of you with more than one child knows the feeling with being out numbered. That was the case this day. I could not control 3 kids. Brock and Kailee (cousin) were everywhere. Climbing on the rock walls, running by the pond, jumping across the pond, throwing sticks in the pond etc. Brody running, getting close to the water, eating things from the ground. They were all making me really nervous. The thought came to me one of these kids are going to fall in. Well it happened, 2 out of 3 fell in....
Brock lost his balance and fell or stepped in the pond. When his foot came out, I was disgusted with what attached to his shoe, and the horrific smell was awful. So worrying about Brock I somewhat forgot (I hate to say that) about Brody. I did not communicate to Chanel about me helping Brock. I took Brock's shoe and sock off, so I could put it in the "cleaner" water to get some of that poo mud (that's what Brock called it) off. When I was putting the shoe in the water I looked up to just seeing Brody's feet entering the water. Chanel was running to him and so was I. He went completely under the water, which seemed like forever until Chanel pulled in out. He was fine, in fact he held his breath. I was relieved. So those thoughts of being a good parent enter my mind. I wondered what she was thinking...if she thought this kind of stuff happened all the time to her precious little boy?. I could tell she was a little in shock. I was quite calm, surprisingly. I hugged her. I told her it's ok he is alive. I don't blame her one bit. Being his mother I should have communicated with her. I knew from experience, having a one year old you need to be by their side at all times, especially around water...
I am so grateful that this traumatic event didn't take a turn for the worse. Brody's here & Brock's here. I love these boys so much.. I would do anything for both of them. Sorry Chanel you had to be apart of that incident. May we both learn from that experience. I love you!.

1 comment:

Henich Family said...

Oh my goodness Rachel. First of all what crazy day. Second of all you are one of the greatest mothers ever. Don't ever forget that. I would trust you with my kids in a heartbeat. One day you will be able to look back and laugh at this. Just remember don't be out numbered again when you are a. by water. b. by cliffs. or c. near traffic.